Thursday, May 26, 2011

Crossers by Philip Caputo

It took me quite a while to read this book because it dealt with such a complicated issue. I had to "digest" one chapter before I could go on. Crossers gives a lot of Arizona history and the "Wild West" mentality but I felt the main theme of the book was immigration problems and drug running problems and how they intertwined. It also dealt with border violence; not just violence on the Mexico side, but violence by us on our side as well. I thought that I didn't like this book but changed my mind. What I didn't like was the subject matter. I abhor the drug running and border violence. I also believe the Mexicans trying to cross the border illegally are only trying to provide a better life for their families. They are the victims in the whole immigration issue. The drug cartels and immigrant smugglers take such advantage of the ones wanting to cross. Caputo did an excellent job of laying out the issues that at times seem completely unsolvable to all of us.   3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment