Thursday, May 26, 2011

Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

There is not much I could say about this book that hasn't already been said. To me, it isn't so much about Anne's diary entries as it is about why she is in that secret room in the first place. It is a young girl's thoughts during a terrible time and she became the personification of all the Jewish people who were in hiding during the war. It is the fact that we know how her story ends as does the same end come for millions of others.

My daughter and I had an opportunity to take my grandchildren (age 11 & 13) to see the Anne Frank house. My daughter first checked out some books from the library that told the story of Anne Frank and her family so that they would have an understanding of what they were seeing. They asked such good, intelligent questions about how this could have happened. Really gave us an opportunity to instill some values about how to not ever let this happen again. As we toured the house, my grandchildren wanted to see and hear every thing. This museum is so appropriately done. It is extremely moving. The last room showed a picture of all the people who had lived in that house and how they died. The kids read each one. As we left the museum I bought them each an age appropriate book about Anne Frank. They walked down the streets of Amsterdam reading their books and didn't put them down until they were finished. I knew then that they would be different people for having that experience.

I realize this sounds like a review of the Anne Frank museum but it is not. It is a review of the effect this book has on people. A 13 year old's diary entries have had an opportunity to change the world. That is what this book means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment