Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oh Mexico! by Lucy Neville

This is a review of a book that is due for publication in August, 2011.  I read and reviewed the galley.

I really enjoyed this book. Oh Mexico! is a memoir by Lucy Neville of her experiences in Mexico City. Going from Australia to Mexico City was a culture shock for Lucy, to say the least. Lucy Neville weaves a wonderful image of Mexico that rings completely true. Her initial reaction to Mexico City is the exact same reaction I had the first time I went to Mexico City. As Lucy tries to assimilate herself into Mexican culture, I found myself visualizing her surroundings as well as her trials and tribulations. Her understanding of Mexican politics is spot on. Her characters are believable and joyful (especially Octavio!). I found Lucy's writing style to be witty, descriptive, and fun to read. Anyone who has ever experienced Mexico (or wanted to experience Mexico) will find this an enjoyable read.  3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment