Thursday, May 26, 2011

Great Books to Read to Grandkids

Where the Wild Things Are

All children like to be read to, including my grandson, Rylan. Where the Wild Things Are is one of his favorite books. We have read it together hundreds of times. Max, the main character, gets sent to his room without supper.  A forrest grows in his room and he sails away until he comes to the place where the wild things are.  I read the story in a kind of sing song way (like a poem) and I use different voices for the wild things when "They roar their terrible roars and show their terrible claws and gnash their terrible teeth!" and he loves it. The wild things are funny looking creatures who love Max.  "We love you so, we could eat you up!"  Rylan knows all the words to this book by heart. And he always has to say the last sentence of the book himself (when Max returns to his room to find his dinner waiting)...."and it was still warm."  He has a stuffed Max and a stuffed Wild Thing that have to be present when we are reading this book.




I Love You Through And Through
byBernadette Rossetti-Shustak, Caroline Jayne Church (Illustrator)

This book for toddlers is a favorite of my grandson, Rylan. We've been reading it (every night) since he was about 2. He's 5 now and still loves for me to read this book to him.  The book starts off:
Me reading to Rylan: "I love you through and through. I love your top side. I love your bottom side."
Rylan: Mimi, that's his butt. Do you love my butt?
Me: Yes Rylan, I love your butt, too 
Me reading again: "I love your happy side and your sad side."
Rylan: Mimi what about his teddy bear? Do you love it too? 
Me: Yes Rylan, I love the teddy bear, too. 
I am finally able to finish the book except for the last page. Rylan know's that one by heart:
 
Rylan: "I love you through and through, yesterday, today, and tomorrow, too."

Every time I read this book to him, he feels assured that he is truly loved by his Mimi forever. That's why I love this book so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment